Secondary Stage Activities
STEAM Education in Lotus National School – Tie and Dye
Lotus National School has implemented the STEAM curriculum to improve competitiveness in development of science and technology and motivate the learners towards experiential learning.
STEAM is a pedagogical approach that rains the students in 5 disciplines: Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics.
The Art element helps students improve the design, appearance, and usability of a product created through Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, thus generating more creative and innovative thinking
Lotus National School has integrated Tie and Dye- a traditional art of designing, under STEAM education.
Through this art the students are equipped with the 21st century skills and life skills.
Tie and dye is one of the most widely accepted and one of the very traditional methods of printing textiles.
This art of colouring the fabric is more prevalent in different parts of the world.
It is achieved by knotting, binding, folding or sewing certain parts of the cloth in such a way that the dye cannot penetrate into these areas when the cloth is dyed.
Even with the advent of trendy fashions in the textile and garment industry, there is still a lot of demand for the bright and colourful patterns of the tie and dyed fabrics.
We can bring the magic of tie-dye into our art room with ease.
Improving feeder quality into higher education
Raising Students Learning Standards From 35% to 50%
International minimum standards of secondary school feeder to enter Higher or Professional Education are benchmarked at 50%
The present system of passing / promoting the students with cumulative of 35% to next class is hindering student learning outcomes at the successive class levels because of weak foundation
The present 35% passing marks only means that the student is incompetent in 65% of that class level performance
Review and revision of student achievement to 50% will the required minimum standard of learning
Productivity of student learning outcomes can be established by introducing stage-wise testing at classes III, V, VIII, IX and X with eligibility criteria for promotion pitched at 50%
Student achievement can be improved by consolidations of learning at each schooling stage with 50% student achievement
It is important to do away with the Pass and Fail system which carries negative connotations and replace it with the concept of Eligibility Criteria
Applied Learning Activities (ALA) at LNS for sector exposure and employability skills
A flexible combination of Applied Learning with core subjects, elective subjects and other learning experiences helps provide students with holistic learning.
Applied Learning aims to enable students to understand fundamental theories and concepts, develop their beginners’ skill set, job-related competencies and generic skills.
Applied Learning is an approach that emphasizes the relevance of what is being learnt in the class with the real world situations, improving students’ motivation and commitment
It help students make connection between what they learn in school and how that knowledge is used for real life purposes both in school and out of school.
It provides a context for learning generic skills that are important in the work place and real – life application
ALA focus on learning and applying the knowledge and skills needed, to solve a problem, implement a project or participate in the world of work.
Exposure to industry related activities will facilitates development of sectoral skills among skills and help smooth transition from school to work/ further studies
Implementation process of Applied Learning Activities in Lotus National School
A thirty- week applied learning activities program for classes I – X is planned with an aim to expose students to priority sectors of India with a focus on developing employability skills right from a young age.
The activities are designed based on class levels
Each activity is planned for a period of two weeks
Teachers are free to add more activities, if time permits
The new activities added by the teachers are documented for future use
After every two weeks, a report of completion and the behavioural outcome of students is reviewed
Teachers document the skills developed by the each student
Emphasis on Cursive Writing
Many standardized tests are based on written work. Without fast and legible hand writing, students will miss out on learning opportunities
Students who have mastered good handwriting are more creative
Teaching a child cursive writing from an early stage has many advantages
Cursive writing involves multiple processes:, the movement of hand , the thought of the letter and the visual of the letter. Forming letters creates a connection between the movement of hand and the visual response of seeing letter on the page.
Practice of cursive writing develops fine motor skills and improves brain development in the areas of thinking , language and working memory.
Good handwriting is the platform for achievement in the workplace
Cursive writing books are designed and are available in Lotus National School
This is to prepare the students at an early primary stage of learning to face the challenges of learning at middle school level.
Three packs of cursive writing books are designed for different schooling stages.
Pack I – focuses on preparing children to read and draw
Pack II – emphasizes on understanding of content of text
Pack III – aims to increase the students comprehension capacity.
All the three packs are linked and include sight words, rhyming words, compound words, proverbs and subject related words
Including rhyming words help repeated exposure and foster retention among students
Proverbs are powerful tools that provide indigenous wisdom and guidance
Cursive writing is also known as longhand writing in which some characters are joined together for making writing faster
Cursive writing improves brain development in the areas of thinking, language and working memory.
Teaching a child cursive writing from an early stage has many advantages
Forming letters creates a connection with the movement of hand to visual response of seeing letter on the page
There are multiple processes coexisting simultaneously , the movement of hand , the thought of the letter and the visual of the letter
Practice of cursive writing develops fine motor skills.
Lotus National School Fleet / Transport Management
School buses have always been one of the most preferred modes of transportation for school children
Parents all across the globe prefer to use school transport because of numerous benefits
Lotus National School maintains a state-of-the-art fleet in its campuses
LNS adopts a good transportation policy to address the concerns of parents, students, management and the local community
Sending children to school by school buses has many advantages, such as, they are on time, safe, and the GPS system on the bus helps parents to track their children
Children learn to manage time, make new friends, take care of their belongings etc.
The upkeep of school fleet is given utmost importance. The fleet is inspected for its good working conditions regularly
LNS appoints only well trained and experienced bus drivers, who observe all driving regulations set forth by the State government
Training programs for bus drivers and bus aides are conducted regularly to up-skill and monitor their skills and performance
Lotus National School strives to make the school bus experience for all the students memorable, safe and enjoyable
SCHOOL EXPERIENCE FOR DEVELOPMENT OF SKILL SETS (SEDSS)
• Lotus National school has implemented various teaching programs to develop skills among the students
• School Experience for Development of Skill Sets (SEDSS) is one such program geared towards developing group work skills among the students
• It enabling the learners to become self reliant learners and retain all the learning for life long application.
• Inculcating group work in schools right from young age becomes even more relevant in a diverse Indian culture
• It helps develop skill sets, learning abilities and competences in the learners, shifts focus from rote learning to knowledge for understanding and application.
• The SEDSS program is activity oriented (Project Method) therefore all activities are student centered.
• SEDSS fosters development of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) in a progressive manner right from class I
• It covers all subjects and can be easily carried out during the regular transaction of curriculum in the classroom
• It provides a holistic view of knowledge and learning by integrating various disciplines
Investiture Ceremony in Lotus National School
- Its rightly said that ‘leaders are not born they are made’
- Investiture means investing a person with authority, power, right and dignity
- Investiture ceremony is one of the most important school ceremonies
- Lotus National School conducts Investiture Ceremony to instill democratic values among the students
- The investiture ceremony is a solemn occasion where in all the young students are well prepared to don the mantle of leadership and responsibility while carrying it out with utmost dedication
- Initially, interested students are called for the nominations and the elections are announced during the school assembly
- Campaigning is done by the nominated students with their individual symbols
- The candidates prepare and present effective speeches to the students and teachers in order to qualify for the elections
- Once the campaign is closed, the symbols are printed in ballot papers with their names
- A democratic voting procedure is set in pace for all students, teaching and non-teaching staff which ultimately forms the school Student Council for that academic year
- Counting the votes is done by election department and results are declared in school assembly
- The newly elected Student Council members and the class monitors of different classes take the oath and pledge to work earnestly and uphold the honor of the school while receiving their prestigious badges and slash from the chief guest
- The head boy, head girl, sports captain, cultural secretary and house captains of different houses stand tall while holding the flag of Lotus National School as destiny prepares itself to bring in many more laurels to the school
Guard of Honor at Lotus National School
Lotus National School strongly believes in ‘Athiti Devo Bhava.’
Any guests coming to Lotus National School are welcomed with honor, dignity and respect
Guard of honor is a ceremonial ritual practiced in Lotus National School for visiting guests / dignitaries.
The guard of honor group consists of the School Head Boy, Head Girl, House Captains and other Captains (Sports, CCA etc.), usually from the Middle and Secondary stages
The students are attired in impeccable school uniforms while welcoming the guest with the school band playing
The guest walks past the Guard of honor inspecting them. After the ceremonial welcome, the Guard of Honor escort the guest to the dais
Students participating in guard of honour are well trained in march past, flag presentation and flag folding
Students take a lot of pride in discharging their duties as members of the Guard of Honour squad and are committed to follow the school code of conduct
Being a member of guard of honor squad gives students the opportunity represent the school and shape themselves into well groomed citizen
Character Building Activities in Lotus National School
• Education is incomplete if students are taught everything under the universe except how to build a strong character
• It is said that character is like a tree and reputation is its shadow
• The greatest test of an individual’s character is how one takes charge of one’s life
• Building a strong character helps an individual to face challenges and adversities
• Schools provide an excellent opportunity for character building
• Lotus National School give a lot of importance for character building among students. Developing good moral, manners, civic sense, non- bullying, traditional compliance and socially acceptable behavior will help students be successful.
• Character building in the classroom is productively planned through various activities that encourage students to develop and adopt behavior that can last beyond the classroom
• Students are made aware of what is acceptable and what is not. Students are encouraged to complete their tasks on time, be neat, show respect, help each other etc.
• Programs like SEDSS, sports and games inculcate team spirit, empathy, helping attitude, gratitude, cooperation, acceptance of success and failure etc., which strengthen individual character
• Various activities geared towards developing empathy, respect etc are planned to do the right thing, make a difference, bust bullying etc
• Proverbs are introduced in classes to build strong character, morals and values
• Activities for building student character enhance not only student’s life but also the entire school environment
© Lotus National schools. 2019. All Rights Reserved